by the City of Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach has two off-leash dog parks where owners may let their pets run and play. Barc Parc South, the original leash-free space for pooches, is off Mallard Lake Drive near Grand Park and the Market Common. The park covers fourteen acres and includes a lake.
Barc Parc North is adjacent to the Claire Chapin Epps Family Y on 62nd Avenue North Extension. It opened in 2009, and covers 3.3 acres. Both parks are fully fenced and now offer separate areas for large and small dogs to play.
Barc Parc South’s small dog playing section opened this year. The 33,000 square foot addition allows space for small dogs (a back height of 16 inches or less) to roam freely with other small dogs. The improvements include new fencing, gates, benches, bag holders, picnic tables, a doggie water fountain, and landscaping.
With the new section, Barc Parc South now has three separate areas: one for small dogs, one for large dogs, and one for all dogs. This latter section includes the lake. Funding for the new small dog section was provided by the City of Myrtle Beach and a grant from the South Carolina Parks, Recreation and Tourism PARD Fund.
Three new rules also are in place at both of the city’s off-leash dog parks. First, children under the age of eight will not be allowed inside the park. Second, all dogs entering the Barc Parcs must be spayed or neutered. And third, both Barc Parcs are now “no smoking” areas; this prohibition includes vaping.
The rules for behavior are posted at each site, and owners are responsible for picking up after their pets and properly disposing of the waste. Handy picker-uppers are provided. Here is a complete list of rules.
BARC PARC RULES
- Park is open from sun up to sun down.
- Dog owners are responsible for clean up of dog feces.
- Dog owners must be in park and within view of their dog at all times.
- Dogs must be removed from the park at the first sign of aggression.
- Dog owner must have leash in hand at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed outside the boundaries of the park.
- All dogs entering the park need to be spayed or neutered.
- Park gates must be closed and latched at all times.
- Puppies and dogs must be properly licensed, vaccinated, and healthy prior to entering the park.
- Puppies under 4 months old are prohibited from entering the park.
- No food, treats, alcoholic beverages, glass containers, strollers, bicycles or children’s toys are allowed in the park.
- No animals other than dogs are allowed in the park.
- Aggressive dogs are not permitted on the premises.
- Police and animal control officers can ticket all dog owners who fail to comply with the above rules.
- This park accommodates unleashed animals. By entry, you assume all risk of injury to yourself, any adult guest, and any person or thing over which you exercise care.
- Children under the age of 8 are prohibited from entering the park.
- City of Myrtle Beach shall not be liable for any injury or damage to any person or thin caused by any dog in the park.
- No smoking or vaping is allowed in the park.
Finally, to make maintenance easier, the parks will close one morning each week.
South Barc Parc is closed every Monday from 6:30-11am. North Barc Parc is closed every Thursday from 6:30-11am.
For more information about these facilities and other parks, contact the Parks Division at 843-918-2332.