A friend of the Market Common, Einstein’s Dog Sitting Service, is hear to answer questions about potential danger in feeding dogs.
Why is chocolate toxic to dogs?
Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine. Both are stimulants that affect the central nervous system and heart, as well as increasing the frequency of urination.
What are the symptoms?
Depending on the amount of chocolate ingested, a dog may experience agitation, panting, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, tremor, or seizures. Death may occur in extreme cases.
What is xylitol?
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free products, such as, peanut butter, chewing gum, mouthwash, toothpaste, and sugar-free candy. It is also used in breath mints, baked goods, cough syrup, and chewable vitamins.
What does xylitol do to dogs?
Xylitol causes a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar (within 10-60 minutes), resulting in depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. Ingestion may possibly lead to the development of liver failure and death.
What should dog owners do in case of chocolate or xylitol poisoning?
Transport your dog to the veterinarian immediately for treatment.
What are other potential dangers to pets during Valentine’s Day?
For cats, watch for flower bouquets that include lilies. They are very toxic to cats. Rich foods can cause upset stomach and possibly pancreatitis when ingested by pets. Keep all alcoholic beverages out of reach of pets.
Pet Poison Helpline 1.800.213.6680
24/7 Animal Poison Control Center
Einstein’s Dog-Sitting Service
To read past editions of Ask Your Expert from the Insider at the Market Common, click here!