Charlie’s Corner is the domain of Charlie, the furry four-legged lady’s man of Market Common. Each month, he’ll share information to help all new, visiting, and existing doggie community members get the most out of life alongside their human companions. Here, we’ll feature his reflections on what it’s like to be a dashing downtown doggie, as he reminds all of us how to play well together. This month, Charlie gets into the spirit of love and with an expostulation about Valentine’s Day.
Oh boy, it’s Valentine’s Day this month, and aside from Christmas and my birthday, Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday. (And no that’s not a grammatical error, I consider my birthday a holiday.) I’m such a loving, lovable guy that how could it not rank up there amongst my favorites?
Do you know why I love Valentine’s Day so much? It’s not just a day to celebrate romantic love; and frankly after last year’s run-in with a mischievous love-potion-wielding sprite, I’m a little lukewarm in my aspirations in that department anyway. (You can check the archives on our website if you missed my adventures from last year. Sheesh.)
I love Valentine’s Day because it’s a reminder to celebrate all the love in your life! Sharing love, giving love, feeling love… for everyone I know and everyone I haven’t yet met— all those people out there who are totally awesome, living their lives, loving and working to make a difference in their lives and the peoples’ lives that they love. And then those people that they love, are out there living and loving all the people in their lives, and it just keeps growing and expanding outwards until it makes my doggie brain hurt with the magnitude and expansion of it all. But it doesn’t hurt my heart. It makes my heart feel very glad. And it makes my tail wag.
Isn’t it amazing how if I stuff too much information in my doggie brain it feels simply like too-much-information— not a good feeling at all— but the more people, things, and experiences I love, the lighter and happier I feel. It seems I always have room in my heart to love and an inclination to bark and wag at someone new.
So this Valentine’s Day, I’m celebrating by recognizing all the things I love. Here goes. In no particular order:
- Chew toys
- Jim’s slippers. Sort of the same as number one, but very different in both texture and aroma.
- My awesome family.
- The Insider.
- This column. It’s just so much fun to write!
- My doggie dish (cause it’s usually filled with awesome yummy things).
- My doggie bed at work in the Insider office so I can be close to Megan.
- Everyone who comes to Charlie’s Morning Coffee Hour.
- The lake, ’cause I love all the wildlife (except when wildlife chases me).
- The ocean.
- Car rides.
- Warm laps.
- Belly rubs.
- Did I say people yet, because that includes you! I love everyone and I hope this Valentine’s Day you remember to love you too and remember the things you love in your life as well.